This charming thatched guesthouse is situated 200m from the beach in the quaint West Coast fishing village of Paternoster, an easy 90 minute drive from Cape Town. Uninterrupted views of the ocean can be enjoyed from two of the intimate guest suites and from the superbly positioned dining area. The third suite has a delightful garden view and is priced accordingly. Enjoy a leisurely stroll on the beach or for the more energetic, climb the 97 steps to the top of the Lighthouse on Castle Rock in the Cape Columbine Nature Reserve. We are very pleased to announce that we will have SOLAR POWER from February 2023 so you will not be affected by the Eskom loading shedding.
Gilcrest Place has one of the best-rated locations in Paternoster! Couples particularly like the location — they rated it 9.7 on trip advisor for a two-person trip. Call Dee or Andy to make reservations. We do allow small dogs (less than 8kg) on request and there is a dog cleaning fee.
Read our reviews on TRIPADVISOR. Some of the attractions are as follows;
• The Cape Columbine Nature Reserve, with the only remaining manually controlled lighthouse in SA, and desirable camping and fishing spot, Tietiesbaai.
• Whales and dolphins can frequently be seen just beyond the breakers, and seals and penguins are regular visitors to the large
boulders along the coastline.
• Prolific bird life makes this a bird-watchers paradise.
• Wine-tasting at the local Wine Tasting Bar. My favorite place!
• Beer-tasting at local Paternoster Brewery.
• Art-Shed at the Paternoster Waterfront. Leather work, pottery, train sets amazing art are all on display.
• Die Koelkamers Theater at the Paternoster Waterfront. Many interesting shows on to suit everyone’s taste.
• Fine local restaurants – a gourmet’s delight. Rock lobster is a local delicacy, as are bokkoms (dried fish).
• Sporting activities on offer include kitesurfing, snorkeling, kayaking, horse riding, wow E-Bikes and guided nature walks.
• Namaqualand – see the barren landscape transform during Spring (Aug/Sept) into a carpet of colorful flowers stretching as far as the eye can see.
Assistance with dinner bookings and excursions locally can be organized by arrangement with your friendly hosts, Dee and Andy.